Monday, April 09, 2007

When I Was Just a Kid...Tricia Goyer

When I Was Just a Kid...

Tricia Goyer



See this little cutie at age 2? She was writing even back then. Did you guess that this was Tricia Goyer a few days ago when I posted this photo? Two years later she still had the knack and books stacked around her.(See photo below to the right.) Let's find out about Tricia and what it was back then that developed her into the writer she is today:
Tricia's memories:
Childhood Ambition: School Teacher. From as long as I could remember, I wanted to teach 3rd grade.
[Crystal Editor's note: Tricia homeschools and teaches many about writing and mentors teen mothers, as well as talks on parenting issues. She definitely reached beyond this childhood ambition!]

Fondest Memory (then): One Christmas when I was 12 my parents bought me a red tape recorder. That afternoon, after we left my grandparents house my mom, step-dad, brother and I went home and made up stories that we taped. We made up funny voices and laughed and laughed. It was a simple thing, but a very fond memory. It was also one of the only times I remember my parents "playing" with us in an interactive way.

Proudest Moment (now or then): Watching my kids serve God, for sure: When my 14-year-old daughter used her own money to buy a Bible for her friend. When my 17-year-old son won the "Christian Character Award" for his basketball team last month. When I see my 12-year-old son reading his Bible.


Biggest Challenge as a child or teen: The biggest challenge for me was finding out I was pregnant as a 17-year-old teen. I was so embarassed that I dropped out of high school. I thought my life was over for sure. BUT it was through this challenge I gave my heart to Jesus. I asked Him, "To do something with my life." To God be the glory ... He's done more than I've asked or imagined!


My First Job: Babysitting. I think I made $1.50 an hour.

Childhood indulgence: Reading. Summers were spent at the library.

Favorite Outfit as a child: In 5th grade I got this really cool green satin jacket. I lost it at school a few weeks later. I was VERY sad.

Favorite Childhood Movie: The Parent Trap. Since I didn't know my biological father I always wondered if I had a sister out there. (I grew up with one brother.) Amazingly, last year I met three sisters!!! I have one more sister I haven't met yet. They are more amazing, wonderful, and similar to me than I ever imagined.

Favorite Childhood Book: Little House on the Prairie (by Laura Ingalls Wilder)

Childhood hero: Helen Keller

Tricia had some rough places in her life, but God had plans for her. Big plans. Plans for a hope and a future. The author of five novels, two non-fiction books, and one children's book, Tricia was named Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference "Writer of the Year" in 2003.Besides turning her interests and "rough places" into award-winning nonfiction and fiction, she is one busy wife and mom, and she gives back what God has granted to her by pouring her energies into these interests and causes. From mentoring teen moms, to mentoring writers on her new blog to helping Generation X with parenting, Tricia must never sleep!


Tricia lives in Montana with her husband and three kids where she homeschools, leads children's church, and mentors teenage mothers.

Books Tricia has written:

Historical Fiction: [WWII and Spanish Civil War]
(2003) From Dust and Ashes, (2004) Night Song ,(2005) Dawn of a Thousand Nights,

(2006) Arms of Deliverance,(2007) A Valley of Betrayal [Her latest novel,released in February],(2007) A Shadow of Treason [released in the Fall]


(2007) My Life, Unscripted

(2006) Generation NeXt Parenting
In 2005, her book Life Interrupted was a finalist for the Gold Medallion. Also in 2005, her novel Night Song won AmericanChristianFictionWriter's Book of the Year for Long Historical Romance. In 2006, her novel Dawn of a Thousand Nights also won Book of the Year for Long Historical. She's written over 250 articles for national publications and hundreds of Bible Study notes for the Women of Faith Study Bible.
(2004) Life Interrupted
(2004) 10 Minutes to Showtime
(2000) Mealtime Moments

Tricia has three books that will be out soon
...My Life Unscripted (Thomas Nelson, Children's Division),
Summer 2007
A Shadow of Treason (Moody Publishing) Fall 2007
Generation NeXt Marriage (Multnomah), January 2008




Ok, admit it. Sometimes life is really tough. If you ever start complaining that life didn't hand you a bouquet of roses, take a hard look at Tricia's story. Read some of her books. Tricia's theme in all of it is that God is bigger than anything. He has a plan. If anyone embodies and proclaims Jeremiah 29:11 in their life, that person is Tricia Goyer.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Check out Tricia's blogs and web sites:

http://www.triciagoyer.com
www.shoutlife.com/triciagoyer
www.triciagoyer.blogspot.com
www.genxparents.blogspot.com
www.writerquotes.blogspot.com

http://www.mywritingmentor.blogspot.com/

No comments: