Sunday, October 08, 2006



Are You Laughing Too Much These Days?


Me, neither. And I'm wondering why. I was looking through some old photographs from my college days. In almost every single one, I'm laughing or have my smile way across my face. My eyes sparkle with mischief and fun; and they are totally me. And those weren't the happiest of days. I was dealing with big issues, plus trying to make enough money to stay in school.

So, I studied those photos to see what it was that made me laugh. Almost every time, I realized, I was spending time with friends. Friends who made me laugh. In one photo, my friend, whose life was complicated and full of strife, too, had given me a jack-in-the-box pop up Snoopy and I'm laughing with my mouth full open (note the teeth, etc.) She found it for a quarter at a rummage sale. I laughed my head off. I popped that thing up until I nearly wore it out. She also gave to me a pearl ring. She knew how much I loved jewelry and didn't have a really nice ring. How I loved that birthday. It was full of joy.

With that thought in mind as I look for things I want to write about, I realized that I want joy to be my success.

To laugh often,
To win the affection of children,
to earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends.
To appreciate beauty,
to find the best in others,
to leave the world a bit better
whether by a healthy child,
a garden patch...
to know even one life has breathed easier
because you have lived,
This is to have succeeded.
--Attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's my thought for today. One I'm going to take to heart.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a good thought.

And I love that picture of you laughing up there!

Terry Whalin said...

Crystal,

Great post about laughter. I loved the photo.

Terry
The Writing Life

Book Proposals That Sell

Crystal Laine said...

Too funny. Now THAT made me laugh that you all liked the photo of me with my mouth full open (as usual--makes it easier for me to get my foot in.)

Thank you for being my friends and encouraging me.