Friday, October 29, 2010

Uncle George's Birthday Soup

My husband's cousin, Jan, is a great cook. I always look forward to what she is going to bring to a family gathering. Her mom, Gladys, and dad, George, are no longer with us, but they always opened their home at Thanksgiving. It was so much fun as we'd have people even in the bedrooms! (Lots, and lots of people.)

One year Aunt Lola got out the family films and we watched Grandpa Small and his gang butcher hogs! (Ewww.) I was pregnant with our first child, Jordan, so the next week when I went to my doctor's appointment, he asked me about my Thanksgiving. I think he said an extra prayer for me ("what kind of family has that girl gotten into??") LOL.

Here's Jan's dad's requested soup for his birthday. It's really yummo.

1 package of California Vegetable Soup Mix
2 cubes of chicken bouillon
4 C. water

Cook until vegetables are tender.

Add 2 pounds of Velveeta Cheese.

2 cans of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of celery soup
1 package of hash browns with onions (cook until browned and tender and add to soup)

Warm until Velveeta is melted.

4 comments:

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Crystal -

LOL! Are you sure we're not in the same family?

I was okay until you said, "Velveeta cheese." Cheese and I have a love/hate relationship. I love it, but it hates me.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Crystal Laine said...

Susan, We ARE family. (Sisters in Christ and kindred... :) )

I'm wondering, could you leave the cheese out and eat it? It actually might be good without cheese.

One thing about soup--I'm always adjusting according to taste and likes.

I just love soups. I have another soup recipe coming up and then I'll have to bring out another category. LOL.

Sandra Leesmith said...

Hi Crystal,

How funny about the hog story--and pregnant too.

Families are fun because we always have stories like that to share.

The soup sounds yummy. I'll have to try it.

Kathy DeLong said...

Crystal:

I ALWAYS think of those special Thanksgiving celebrations in George and Gladys' home. Those memories remind me to appreciate PEOPLE over THINGS. George & Gladys so willingly opened their home (and their lives) to us...letting us spill into the bedrooms and every other open spot in the house to sit, eat, visit and enjoy FAMILY. Definitely on my list of blessings to count (again) this year!

Kathy