Saturday, December 20, 2008

To All Suffering in Grief This Christmas

Trish Berg shares on her blog the story behind "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" and it hits my mood. I wonder if this is the message all suffering this Christmas should read. It's a thought. If you know someone suffering instead of rejoicing, or you are suffering this Christmas, this song is for you.


Here is the Casting Crowns version:



I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

Till ringing, singing on its way
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head,
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then peeled the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail; the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men."



To My Friend, Erin, in memory of her wonderful father, Marc A. McDugle:

2 comments:

Christine Lindsay said...

Thank you Crystal, for posting this, so true of our world today. And in a personal sense we can't all enjoy a 'happy' Christmas each year. I expected my 2008 Christmas to be breezy, but the Lord knew otherwise. My husband's health is not good, and we've had to "put to sleep" two of our beloved pets, Puss Puss and Brown Cat, and are praying somehow we'll find a loving home for our third pet, Princess Daisy. They're just cats, but I know God cares about them too. I know this because of the tremendous comfort He is bringing to me as I grieve the loss of them in my home and heart. He sees the little sparrow fall . . . .

Trish Berg said...

Christmas can be such a wonderful and painful time. Thanks for the post, Crystal.

If you are suffering loss or depressed this Christmas, check out or Googls "Blue Christmas Service" online. Many churchs host these for those in pain at the holidays.

Or check it out so your church can host one for others.

And know that you are not alone. Jesus is with you-

Trish

www.TrishBerg.com