Monday, January 08, 2007



Taking Care of Business--TCB

Elvis Aron Presley was born on January 8, 1935 in Mississippi. He was a twin. His twin brother was stillborn, and of course, the rest is history. How does this relate to me? Ok, maybe you didn't know this about me, but I'm a big fan of his music. And I've been to Graceland. I lived in Tennessee for a short time. I play guitar (not as much these days.) I've performed on stage in front of, well, an audience. I have a pink Cadillac (it is inches long and sits on my shelf...)

So, on January 8th every year, I celebrate (a little) and think of how someone who wasn't privileged, but just had guts AND talent AND perseverence, became one of the all-time greats in American music.

My family is heavily involved in music, but to almost all of us, it's a hobby or pleasure that we engage in for fun. (No one has quit their day jobs yet.) My oldest son has the "talent" and we'll see if it becomes a part of his own story. (I know for a fact that he plays every day--I hear him.)

If you love Elvis' music, too, then you understand this post. If you think of him only in light of his weaknesses, then you missed the real story. It's an All-American story of working hard with passion and faith.

So, here's to you, Elvis.

Happy Birthday to my cousin Annette and to Ryder, too.
__________________________________________

1000 Gifts....

401. Delia and her Gatorskunkz and Mudcats
402. sunshine! Lots of it!
403. Jared's art
404. Elvis's music and voice
405. Memphis
406. My family and their dedication to music
407. my washer and dryer in the house
408. my cousin Annette
409. my Tennessee family
410. pink Cadillacs (even if mine is small)
411. internet
412. down comforter
413. heat
414. light dusting of snow and clear roads
415. did I mention sunshine?
416. my melodic chimes, blowing in the wind and making music

3 comments:

Sabrina L. Fox said...

I CHECK YOUR BLOG EVERY DAY FOR WHAT...A WEEK. NOTHING!

I check today and you have three new posts...sheesh, you keep me on my toes. ;)

Let's cover all three--my mother loves Elvis, (which is why we vacationed in Memphis one year, not my favorite trip)

This weather we're having is really bumming me out. I think I need the snow. Like it's part of my own metabolic make-up or something. I can't stand this mild weathered muddy mess.

And I don't even want to talk about the fitness stuff right now.

But other than that...glad you finally posted. ;)

Anonymous said...

I love Elvis! My MIL was a HUGE Elvis fan before she passed and when I think of Elvis I can't help but think of her!

And WooHoo I'm on your list! Thank you Thank you! If I was making a 1000 gifts list, you'd definitely be on it too because you're the greatest!

Camy Tang said...

I love Delia, too!
Camy