Sunday, July 23, 2006

What I Like About You

I have a friend who is writing fiction and lives not far from me. She started a blog Hijinks from the Heartland and she talks about things familiar to me. I check in on her by checking her blog. (Life is just way too busy. I remember when I used to call or go SEE someone to check in on them. Now you check their blog. HA!) She's also blogging a character with Brandilyn Collins' new book, Violet Dawn , which is kind of fun.

Anyway, on her June 23rd post, she did this thing that sometimes gets passed around among email friends (usually writers are annoyed by these things, but not me. She didn't pass it around, I took it from her site. )

Best personality trait: Loyalty and fidelity

Chores I hate: You, and I, do not have that much time or space.

Dad's name: Wilburn (with an 'n', thankewverrymuuch)

Essential make-up/skin care products: My Mary Kay lady reads this, so of course, it is anything Mary Kay (and she will attest to this.) I love make up and skin care products. Mostly, because I have transparent skin and albino tendencies. SPF 166 is my new best friend.

Favorite perfume/cologne: I love smelling people. My husband wears Obsession for Men and he has had old ladies ask him what he is wearing. The thing is, scent is a highly personal thing, meaning you usually have to get close. What smells great on one, is disasterous on, or for, another. But I love light, fresh scents on me. Sometimes I just like soap and I can go back to high school wearing Love's Baby Soft.

Gold or silver?: Yes. And diamonds and garnets and turquoise with both.And platinum.

Homestate: Indiana, but I lived with my grandparents and extended family as a baby in Tennessee because my mother was fighting for her life in a TB hospital in Indiana. I could live in Tennessee where my heart is.

Interesting fact: (I assume about me) I've competed in international trapshooting competitions and have hung out with world class champion shooters.

Job title: Book doctor, Mother, Wife, Dog Walker/former teacher and school board exec.

Kids: Four boys. Ages 21-15. I forget their names today. Sometimes I call them by their brothers' names just to keep them on their toes.

Mom's birthplace: Near the Lake of the Woods in Minnesota. Her father wasn't born in this country.

Number of apples eaten in the last week: Hmm. How many are in a slice of pie? (Thanks to diet saboteur Sue Barkdull, a great pie maker.)

Overnight hospital stays: Yes. (Hint: No one wants to hear this stuff.) But I've stayed in the hospital for other people, too. It's a bummer.

Phobia: I have two things that freak me out--someone holding my wrists and open closet doors. I don't think one has anything to do with the other.

Question you ask yourself a lot: What was I thinking about, again?

Religion: A follower of Jesus Christ and believer in the 3-in-1 Trinity--God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Siblings: One. Rick Warren (no, not HIM, the other one!The one with the faulty memory...)

Time I wake up: Is it time to wake up??

Unnatural hair color: I would like that, probably. But my husband makes me stay my natural blonde.

Vegetable I Refuse to Eat: I cannot remember a vegetable I have ever refused to eat.( Maybe rotten ones.) I don't like watermelon--does that count?

Worst habit: Buying lotions. I am on a quest to find the perfect moisturizer.

X-rays?: Yes, vision. Keep a steel plate in front of you.

Yummy food I make: I used to make these lemon muffins that a lady, who ran a bed and breakfast, asked for my recipe. I also don't do bad on cornbread and biscuits. So, my answer is quick breads. Don't ask someone who knows for sure. I do own over 100 cookbooks. (I did not make this up.)

Zingers: Wipe the blood off—and continue. (This applies to many things in my life, but mostly, golf.)


Now you know. You can't say I didn't warn you about me.

3 comments:

Sabrina L. Fox said...

Hey, thanks for the plug. And how can you hate watermelon. Sheesh. It's so yummy!

I like your gold or silver answer too. LOL. Sounds like most women!

Terry Whalin said...

Great answers, Crystal. It was a fun read. Thank you.

Terry
The Writing Life

Crystal Laine said...

I know you all want my lemon muffins recipe. No watermelon--ever.

Here it is:

Lemon Muffins
Makes 16 muffins. Bake at 400 degrees.

1 & 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup sugar
1TBS. grated lemon rind
1 egg, beaten
1 (8 oz.) carton lemon yogurt
1/4 c. plus 2 TBS. (melted) butter
1 TBS. lemon juice

Glaze for topping

Combine 1st 6 ingredients in a large bowl; make well in center of mixture, set aside.

Combine egg, yogurt, butter and lemon juice; stir well. Add to dry ingredients; stir until just moist. Spoon batter into greased muffin pans, filling 3/4ths full.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 5 minutes in pans and place on wire rack. While muffins are warm, prick with wooden toothpick, and pour glaze over muffins.