Monday, December 13, 2010

Seven-Layer Bars for the Holidays

Pike Place Market since 1907

My Southern friend, Scarlett* and I were exploring Seattle while our husbands had to go to conference classes. One of our first stops was at Pike Place Market. It was fun watching the crowds, checking out the eats and shopping in the shops. One coffee place had these 7-layer cookie bars that Scarlett absolutely adored. She asked them for the recipe, which of course, they refused. Let me tell you something about Scarlett. She is one determined little Mississippi Girl. She can charm the worst beast into laughing. So, I knew this wasn't the end of her heart's desire.

We went to a great kitchen store called Sur la Tab. In the middle of the store were cookbooks stacked to the ceiling. I have to admit I love kitchen stores. They make my heart sing, just as Scarlett's heart sings over a special recipe to serve. So, she tackled the cookbooks, looking for that recipe! I have a weakness for dinnerware and went wandering. Finally, she grabs my arm, drags me to the stacks and demands that I help her. Realizing that we would be there all day if I didn't at least try, I took a book off the stack.

Flipping to the index, I scanned the listed recipes for some sort of layered cookie. Lo, and behold on my first flip, I land on a recipe that sounded pretty much like the same recipe (our expert tastebuds had discerned the ingredients.) Of course, I smirked, handed her the book and said, "No problem."

This may not be the same recipe, but it is pretty good, if I do say so myself, and I think it would have satisfied Scarlett.

Easy Seven-Layer Bars

1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz.)
1 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 C. butterscotch chips
1 C. shredded coconut
1 1/2 C. graham crackers, crumbled
1/2 C. butter
1 C. chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place butter in 13X9-inch pan; melt in oven. Swirl to coat bottom and sides with butter. Spread crumbs evenly over bottom of pan. Layer chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and nuts over crumbs. Pour condensed milk over nuts. Sprinkle coconut over condensed milk.

Bake 25 minutes until edges are golden brown. Let cool before cutting.




*Scarlett is not her real name.

--Crystal Laine Miller

1 comment:

Lisa Lickel said...

I love those. I hoarded the ingredients to a batch for most of the fall, waiting for an excuse to make them. Finally I volunteered to make lunch for the monthly pastor's meeting at our church. They left me a few...sigh...