Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Under a Maui Moon by Robin Jones Gunn

Under a Maui MoonUnder a Maui Moon by Robin Gunn

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Empty-nesters Carissa and Richard should be coming into a wonderful place in their marriage, but counselor Richard's explosive clientele threaten Carissa. When she loses her longtime job on top of tensions with Richard and his devotion to his job, her retiring boss offers use of his house in Maui and she jumps at the chance to go--alone.

Gunn weaves a tale of marriage on the rocks and distancing from God in the Hawaiian paradise with endearing characters. Each chapter begins with a verse written in Native Hawaiian and in English, which adds much to to the setting. Reading this story, I was overcome with hope and could almost feel the breezes and smell the pineapple. I love how Gunn tucked in the history while developing well-written dialogue and characters. It is a story that kept me guessing as to how it would resolve and one I recommend.

Published review in Church Libraries Journal, Fall 2010, by Crystal Laine Miller.

Reprinted with permission.



View all my reviews

No comments: