Friday, October 22, 2010

Recipe:Imy's Honey Cookies

Imogene Small Miller, "Notch" Baby
My mother-in-law, Imy, is one of the best people on earth. She's been very good to me in the nearly 30 years I've been married to her son (who was born when she was 40!) She's 93 and while some things have slowed her down, she is still a great cook. She talks about how when she was 4-years-old and one of her 8 siblings was born (she's the oldest,) her dad got out a box for her stand on and taught her to make breakfast. She's been cooking with the gas ever since! (Figuratively speaking.) For years she was the head cook at a school, too.

She has so many recipes, but my family adores these cookies. They never fail to be eaten in sometimes a matter of hours. They are an oft-requested recipe and I'm going to share it now with you. You'll want to add these to your Christmas cookies and they'll be a hit. My aunt says her granddaughter doesn't eat much, but she'll eat these cookies!

Imy's Honey Cookies

Bake at 350 degrees
12-15 minutes
Makes several dozen
1 inch balls

½ cup butter
2 cups sugar
½ cup honey
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
4 ½ cups sifted flour
4 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt

Cream butter and sugar, blend in honey. Add eggs one at a time and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients; add. Chill several hours in fridge before baking. Scoop by tablespoon (or teaspoon--you decide)roll into a ball. Roll cookies in sugar before baking.

~Crystal Laine Miller

6 comments:

jel said...

Crystal,
thanks for sharing this , it sounds good,

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Crystal -

These sound delicious! My grandmother made something similar. She added some candy sprinkles to them.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Lisa Lickel said...

REminds me of my friend Deb Baker's new Queen Bee mystery series that started with Buzz Off! (written as Hannah Reed) She has honey recipes in her newsletters

Carrie said...

These sound like my Nana's Honey Nut rolls, and as you might guess, hers have chopped pecans in them!

I've been wondering if I could adapt them using a wheat-free flour like sorghum or millet and have them turn out the same. That's my biggest challenge cooking wheat-free - finding the right flour, or blend of flours, that most closely approximates not only the taste but the texture of these kinds of wonderful goodies!

I successfully used turbinado sugar and unsweetened coconut in Nana's No Bake Cocoa cookies, and if my family tasted a difference, it wasn't big enough for them to remark upon it!!

Crystal Laine said...

I always love hearing everyone's stories of recipes and what they did with them--and what a recipe reminds them of.

Carrie, I think you could try it! It's so hard to change things, but as someone who used to eat vegetarian, I would think of it this way--this isn't the same as a dish I'm trying to duplicate/substitute--it's good in its own way.

While we wish to duplicate a special recipe, sometimes it's good on its own and becomes good as is. So keep that in mind. Yum! (And then share that recipe!) :)

Carrie said...

Good perspective, Crystal. I've decided to make most of the family favorites according to the recipe, because if made with wheat flour -- I can't eat them!! My belly, hips, and thighs concur and appreciate this decision!!

Adapting the family's favorite recipes so that I can eat them, too, is indicative of my inherent laziness . . . that way I don't have to prepare 2 meals, one for them and one for me! Ay-yi!