Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wednesdays: Far to Go



When I was a little girl, I read the entire Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House on the Prairie books. I loved them. That doesn't mean I wanted to live Laura's life--far from it! I didn't like camping as a little girl and I still don't like it much. Her life was worse than camping in my opinion (ha.) Still, having a house in an area where I can view wildlife and am off the beaten path--as long as that house stays warm and I can come back in for a cuppa hot coffee--well, that gives me the best of both worlds. 


One of Mrs. Wilder's books was called The Long Winter. While I didn't have to live through a winter as Laura did on the prairie, it did seem to me that winter hung on a might bit longer than it was welcome this year. By Palm Sunday when spring was still illusive and we had a snowstorm, I was thinking, "Hey! Don't I still live in Indiana? We didn't pull a Dorothy and suddenly find ourselves in Nome, Alaska, right??" (And I'm not so sure if I didn't answer myself, because I was getting spring fever in the worst way.)

I went to bed seeing this on Palm Sunday eve....
And woke up to this! 
Psalm 143:7-8Answer me quickly, Lord; my spirit fails. Do not hide your face from me or I will be like those who go down to the pit. Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life.
Last fall I had planted about 300 tulip bulbs. It was cold when I planted them and I had get my son Bryce to help me out. I did it all in anticipation of seeing a glorious spring display like the one I found in downtown St. Louis last spring. 

St. Louis Downtown Tulips 2012

The snowstorm this year pretty much killed that idea. The few daffodils I had did come up, but were frostbitten-looking and I was beginning to feel down and like winter might never end. I was nearly ready to give up. And when you feel like that with no escape in sight, it begins to mess with your whole general outlook. Not good. 

I became angrier and angrier and felt like complaining. I ached and wanted to just cover my head with blankets. Not only that, but I had the flu twice over the winter, sciatica acted up, and a series of headaches and migraines showed up. As the Bible says, I felt sick clear down into my bones with a heavy heart. 

Then...






...Spring is coming...softly...gently...in her own time, bringing cheer to this girl who was nearly ready to give up. 

I had forgotten my Crystal's Rule #4 to Live By....Never Give Up. 

When it looks dark and cold and as if life will never change, the change that God planned out so many years ago serves as an encouragement to us. Spring is coming! 

I'll post those tulip photos later as a few are coming up now. And if this spring doesn't show out like my expectations, I can always remember the Spring of 2012 in St. Louis to hold me over until my own Spring Tulip Festival shows up. 

Never Give Up! Stay Committed to Jesus. He hasn't forgotten you and gives a promise of Spring. He IS coming back. 

"For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him." 2 Chronicles 16:9 NIV

What verses do you turn to when your winter seems to go on forever? Share with us.

2 comments:

Marti Kramer Suddarth said...

I always love when the crocuses come up. They remind that spring really IS coming. They're a tangible sign of hope! (Maybe that's why God invented crocuses.)

Crystal Laine said...

I do, too, Marti! I just drove by your neck of the woods on the way down and back from Nashville, TN and you all are a bit ahead of us (maybe two weeks?) in spring!