Monday, September 06, 2010

Review: The Six-Liter Club by Harry Kraus, M.D.

I have written hundreds of reviews. Here's one from this summer.

The Six-Liter Club
By Harry Kraus, M.D.
Howard, ISBN 978-1-4165-7797-3, PB, 364 pages, $13.99

Set in 1983, Dr. Camille Weller becomes the first black, female surgeon to become attending staff member at Medical College of Virginia and also to be initiated into the "six-liter" club by bringing her patient back from death by replacing a full six-liters of blood. Raised by a white aunt in the South, her prior terrifying childhood in the Congo as the daughter of an American missionary doctor and Conglonese mother battles her spirit as much as her private and professional life do.

With the tension of not only a woman surgeon in the medical world, but also her race, memories, and spiritual struggles, Kraus pulls no punches and brings a satisfying ending.

Reviewed by Crystal Laine Miller
Reprinted from Church Libraries, Summer 2010
Used with permission.
Join Evangelical Church Library Association at http://www.eclalibraries.org

Free first chapter of The Six-Liter Club

Fiction Books by Harry Kraus

Dr. Kraus in surgery

4 comments:

Christine Lindsay said...

I've heard about this book, and must get it. Harry Kraus is also a member of the International Christian Fiction Writers blog, same as me. It got started through our "Beyond the Borders" chapter of ACFW. Cant' wait to read this one.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Thanks for the review, Crystal. I've heard of this author numerous times. His books are going on my Wish List.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Pam Barry said...

I love all of Harry Kraus' books. I eagerly devoured the Six-Liter Club. It was great. I love medical stuff even though I am not in that field. Most of all I love the fact that Harry is a Christian writer in the true sense. He puts God's word through out his fiction.
Pam Barry. Plainfield, IN

jel said...

it was a very good Read! :)