I wasn't able to attend the American Christian Fiction Writers conference in Denver this year and was feeling pretty low about it. I moped around all week. It was torture logging in to see all the photos and posts and I was missing Debbie Macomber's speaking, as well.
Then, last night I logged into my Facebook page and spied Lena Nelson Dooley's Tweets about winners for Book of the Year (published authors) and also the Genesis unpublished writers contest. Here are the results. Number 1, use this list to find books to read; Number 2, look for these Genesis winners to be published in the future. One of my good friends, Christine Lindsay, won the historical category for her story, Unveiled, and I think it is one of the best books I've read this year.
Congratulations to all winners, but also to all entrants. All of you are winners in my book! If you are a Christian writer, my advice is to join American Christian Fiction Writers. If you are a reader, do join the American Christian Fiction Writers bookclub and check out the best authors in the world there. There's something for everyone there!
The American Christian Fiction Writers Awards 2009
2009 Mentor of the Year- Donita K. Paul
2009 Membership Service Award- John B. Olson
2009 Editor of the Year Award- Ami McConnell, Thomas Nelson
2009 Agent of the Year Award Steve Laube, The Steve Laube Agency
2009 Book of the Year Contest• Debut Author- A Passion Most Pure by Julie Lessman
• Lits- Sweet Caroline by Rachel Hauck
• Long Contemporary- Symphony of Secrets by Sharon Hinck
• Long Contemporary Romance- Controlling Interest by Elizabeth White
• Long Historical (tie)- My Heart Remembers by Kim Vogel Sawyer, and I Have Seen Him in the Watchfires by Cathy Gohlke
• Mystery- For Whom the Wedding Bell Tolls by Nancy Mehl
• Novellas- Stuck on You in A Connecticut Christmas anthology by Rhonda Gibson
• Short Contemporary- Family Treasures by Kathryn Springer
• Short Contemporary Suspense- Broken Lullaby by Pamela Tracy
• Short Historical- Family of the Heart by Dorothy Clark
• Speculative- The Restorer’s Journey by Sharon Hinck
• Suspense- Fossil Hunter by John B. Olson
• Women’s Fiction- The Shape of Mercy by Susan Meissner
• Young Adult- The Big Picture by Jenny B. Jones
ACFW 2009 Genesis Contest• Contemporary Fiction- Jennifer Griffith, Magpies in Trees
• Contemporary Romance- Christy LaShea Smith, The Bridge Between
• Historical Fiction- Christine Schmidtke writing as Christine Lindsay, Unveiled
• Historical Romance- Lacy Williams, Marrying Miss Marshal
• Mystery/Suspense/Thriller- Alan Schleimer, Q.doc
• Romantic Suspense- Jan Warren, Katherine Octavia, C.I.A.
• Science-Fiction/Fantasy/Allegory- David Fry, Lies To See
• Women’s Fiction- Cathleen Armstrong, The Church of Last Chance
• Young Adult- Gretchen Hoffman, Rewind